Friday, March 23, 2012

Quinoa Bahala Bath / Mosaranna / Quinoa Thayir Sadham | Indian Quinoa Recipes

Happy Ugadi everyone!! Hope you all are celebrating Ugadi in a traditional way with your family. As for me, I miss the Bevu Bella/Ugadi Pachadi very much. I made this Karnataka special recipe Bahala Bath (curd rice) to celebrate Ugadi. Enjoy!
I can't stop cooking with Quinoa (pronounced keen-Wah) and I make sure I do so atleast twice in a week. I may sound redundant but quinoa is an excellent alternative for rice dishes and above all you would not miss rice at all. After trying Quinoa Bisi Bele Bhath, Pumpkin Quinoa pulao, I tried my hand at this simple Quinoa Bagala Bhath which I totally fell in love with. This one is totally guilt-free since I have used Quinoa - a whole grain, source of complete protein, dietary fiber and gluten-free; milk and yogurt - the best sources of calcium. Tempered it in Indian way to spice it up.
Ingredients:
Serves - 2
Quinoa - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 1/4 cup
Fat free or Reduced fat milk - 1 1/2 cup
Curd/Low fat greek yogurt - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
For Tempering:
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/4 tsp
Chana dhal - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chilli - 1 broken
Curry leaves - 2
Ginger - minced - 1/2 tsp
Method:
Pressure cook quinoa with water and salt for 4 whistles. When the pressure is released, lightly mash the quinoa and add milk. Allow it to simmer until most of the milk is absorbed and the quinoa looks creamy. Remove from heat and mix the yogurt. Prepare the tempering by heating oil in a small pan. Add the ingredients for tempering to the oil and fry in medium heat until the chana dhal becomes light brown. Pour the tempering over the prepared bagala bhath and mix. Serve with pickles, papad or any vegetable side dish. I had it with an omelet with vegetables to make it a wholesome meal.
Also Check out my Vegetable Clear soup with Quinoa and Quinoa Savory Pancakes.
Sending this healthy and delicious dish to the following events..
Kitchen Chronicles #7-Summer Splash by Kalyani; Healthy Morsels - Pregnancy; Summer Spirits; Only - South Indian Food;
 [Only%2520South%2520Indian%255B3%255D.png]


21 comments:

  1. This looks very appetising......bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice n simple yet v healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious and healthy .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to try this out..nice looking dish too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can have Mosranna anytime. But I really lloved this healthy quinoa twisto it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Ugadi to you as well Krithi...

    The dip looks so innovative and appetizing dear..ANd the captures I especially loved..The way you played with light thee is truly appreciable..

    hey btw how are you doing now-a-days ? Not much posts ? Hope you are all fine...Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quinoa curd rice is an excellent idea to include Quinoa in our diet. Protein rich and simple to prepare. Thank you for linking it with Healthy Morsels - Pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Healthy and creamy looking dish. Would love to try it

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just amazing, I really appreciate your thinking on this. Thank you for linking with Healthy Morsels :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great idea.. simple to make too.. me first time here.. following you and also linked one to your event serve it stir fried.. do visit Noel collections

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm... mosaranna with quinoa!!! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely way to have quinoa never tried it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's easily a healthy alternate ti curd rice. Looks welcoming. Thanks for linking it to 'Only'

    FOODELICIOUS

    MARCH EVENT, ‘ONLY’- SOUTH INDIAN & COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks so creamy.. love this healthy recipe.. I haven't tried using quinoa but surely iam going to do it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice idea to make bahalabath with quinoa! Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thayiru saadam with quinoa, how tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never tried Quinoa. your description about its health facts tempt me to try it soon :) Thank u Krithi for sharing it with Healthy Morsels- Pregnancy

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.